Black Pearl provide security services for commercial and private vessels and were looking to make improvements
to how their crew log situation reports whilst on-board.
When considering ways of streamlining their process for recording and managing situation reports when at sea,
OSX were referred in by a mutual contact to propose a solution. With two important requirements, that it be
accessible on portable devices, and handle an intermittent connection to the internet.
- Offline Support
- Although web based, the sit rep interface is built to also function when no internet connection is
available, storing reports on the user's device and synchronising with the main database when connectivity
has been re-established.
- Reporting Tools
- A number of reports are available for display or export, included in the list are a number of interactive
maps that plot data such as the last known and previous positions of the vessels under the watch of their
security personnel. The Google Maps API was employed to implement the mapping functionality.
- Data Management
- A number of tools are made available to Black Pearl allowing them to manage numerous sets of data that are
relevant to their transits.
- Access Control
- Depending on the type of user account, access is granted to differing sets of functionality.
- The user interface adjusts itself to best fit the device that it is viewed on, making it user friendly on
mobile devices such as the smart phones, tablets and laptops used by the Black Pearl operatives.
Initially delivered as a fully functional proof of concept, the system is currently in use out at sea, with
a review process due in the near future. Subsequently, further development will take place to further enhance
the platform and open up additional applications of the technology within the business.